At least once a week I fall off the healthy eating wagon, and I crave something deep fried and fatty or a garbage plate. BUT I always get back to eating healthy. You can enjoy your favorite foods but moderation is key to not only eating well but having a balanced life in general.
This Easy Vegan Roasted Poblano Pepper & Broccoli Soup helps me get back on track. It’s savory, filling and nutrient dense with an abundance of antioxidants from all the greens in there. Save this recipe for the next time you’re feeling like you’ve overindulged a little too much. ⠀
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, minced⠀
1 large potato, or 3 small
4 cups of Better than Bouillon Vegetable Broth
2 small heads of broccoli, chopped⠀
4 roasted poblano peppers, chopped ⠀⠀
4 stalks of celery, chopped⠀⠀
5 leafs of kale, stems removed roughly chopped
½ cup yogurt, unsweetened – I used KiteHill Almond Yogurt ⠀⠀⠀
- Follow this quick video to learn how to roast and peel a poblano pepper. *Roughly chop the poblanos and set aside.
- In a large pot add in sunflower oil and place on medium/high heat. Throw in the onion and garlic, and with a wooden spoon mix occasionally until fragrant. Add in the chopped potatoes and stir, about 5 mins. Using the wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot, then add the broth.
- Add the broccoli, celery, poblanos, and kale to pot. Cover with a top and reduce heat to medium to let simmer for about 25-30 mins.
- Remove pot from heat and let cool for about 10 mins.
- Gradually add contents of pot to blender, little by little.
- When all is blended, add soup back to pot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add yogurt or more broth to make soup to your desired consistency. Serve with croutons for a little crunch over your yummy roasted poblano pepper and broccoli soup!
*Make sure you remove the seeds and stem of the poblano peppers when chopping them.