Who doesn’t love potatoes? French fries, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, I don’t care how they’re made: I’ll eat them. I love potatoes. Prosciutto & Mozzarella Hasselback Potatoes may be my new favorite way to have potatoes though. Slicing the potatoes make them easier to eat and every sliced pocket is filled with melted mozzarella and crisp prosciutto – a more elegant version of your regular loaded potato.
But no disrespect to the regular loaded potato. I love those too. In fact, they used to be my go-to late night snack.
I remember while in junior college, my friends and I would come back after a night out and be so hungry. We were broke so we didn’t have the luxury of just ordering food. GrubHub was not a thing back then, so our options were limited in our very rural town. For some reason though, I always had potatoes, bacon bits, and shredded cheese in my fridge. So I would slice the potatoes and throw them in aluminum foil and then top the potatoes with cheese and bacon bits. Once those were cooked, we would add ranch dressing and that was our late night snack.
So potatoes and I have always had a deep love, but these Prosciutto & Mozzarella Hasselback Potatoes seem like a more mature love.
Prosciutto & Mozzarella Hasselback Potatoes
- A sharp knife
- 5 White Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 5 Oz. Prosciutto
- 4 Oz. Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut a small piece of the bottom of potato off, so that the potato does not roll. Place the potato between two chopsticks. The chopsticks will stop the knife, so that you do not slice a portion of the potato off. You want each potato to stay fully intact. Do this to each potato.
- Begin to make thin cuts in each potato. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Mix the olive oil, salt, pepper, and and garlic together. Brush each potato generously with mixture.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes, then remove to coat again with olive oil mix. Place potatoes back in oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and brush again with olive oil mixture. This time adding slices of prosciutto and mozzarella in between the slices of potato. Place back in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley (optional), serve immediately!
- To reheat potatoes, simply place in oven on 350 degrees F until they are hot
- Refrigerate for 2-3 days