If you’re having a small cookout this weekend, bring this strawberry shortcake to the table to impress friends and family. Not only is this recipe simple but it’s quick! This entire recipe can be completed and ready to serve in an hour.
The cake is sweetened with honey but if you prefer to use sugar instead, equal parts sugar should do the trick, although I have not tried the recipe with sugar.
I prefer my desserts to have a subtle sweetness but if you like your desserts real sweet, try macerating the strawberries.
Depending on how you slice it, this recipe can feed about 12 people. This cake itself doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but definitely keep the whipped cream and strawberries refrigerated. You can keep the cake in a sealed tight container for up to three days.
- Cake flour (recommended) or all-purpose flour. Cake flour will give you a much lighter fluffier texture. All-purpose will give you a bit of a denser cake.
- Baking soda + Baking powder. Yes, you need both.
- Melted butter, cooled to room temp. I used KerryGold Salted but if you have unsalted, try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt to the recipe.
- Sour cream.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Heavy Cream.
- Powdered Sugar.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CAKE:
1 – Bake the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together the honey and the butter, then beat in the eggs until well-incorporated. Don’t overmix! Add in the sour cream + vanilla extract. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder & baking soda. Little by little, add the dry ingredients to the wet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
2- Make the whipped cream. In the meantime, make the whipped cream. With an electric mixer, whip together the heavy cream, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
3 – Slice your strawberries. I like my strawberry shortcake with no frills and raw strawberries. If you choose to macerate the strawberries, simply wash the strawberries, sprinkle with sugar, a little lemon juice and let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Keep an eye so they don’t become too mushy!
4 – Assemble. Once your cake has completely cooled, slice it into your desired amount of pieces. Top with whipped cream and strawberries and serve.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
- 10x10" pan
- Electric Mixer
For the Cake
- 5 small Eggs
- 1/2 C. Sour Cream
- 1 C. Honey, melted and cooled *Use a mild honey, one light in color
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 C. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Whipped Cream
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and whip with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it with olive oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients together, careful to not overmix. Beat the eggs together with the sour cream, honey, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Little by little, add the dry mix to the wet mix. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool completely. If you're serving the cake immediately, add the whipped cream and strawberries on top. Don't add the whipped cream until you're ready to serve!