These Grilled Spicy Chicken Kebabs are my take on Peri-Peri chicken. I’ve always loved spicy food but this pregnancy has me craving ALL things spicy. I’m talking atomic chicken wings, Flaming Hot Cheetos (I don’t care what anyone says, I love them), and Tabasco on everything. If I knew where to find them or how to properly cook them, I would even happily try a ghost pepper. I want all the spice. These kebobs can’t really be classified as Peri-Peri chicken because they’re missing a key spicy ingredient that I could not find anywhere. BUT they do pack heat. If your pantry wasn’t filled with spices before this recipe, it should be nicely stocked afterwards.
- Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Sweet Paprika
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cloves
- Onion Powder
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Red Pepper
- Red Sweet Italian Pepper (Sweet Pointed Pepper)
- Yellow Onion
- Purple Onion
- Skewer veggies of your choice
HOW TO MAKE THE GRILLED SPICY CHICKEN KEBABS
To start your spicy marinade, add seasonings to a small dish. Mix peppers and yellow onion with olive oil and then add spices. On a sheet pan, roast the peppers and onions until they’re tender. When they’re halfway done, add in garlic.
Once those are roasted and slightly cooled, add them to a blender. Blend on high, adding a little olive oil if the mixture is too thick. You want the texture of the mix to be sort of like a paste – not too thick and not very runny.
Once your marinade is done, clean your chicken. You should ALWAYS rinse your chicken in lukewarm water to get rid of any residue from the packaging, cut any unwanted pieces and then pat dry your meat with a paper towel. This should go without saying but properly disinfect your sink before and after this task.
Slice your chicken into two inch pieces and toss them in a ziplock bag. Spread the marinade over the chicken in the bag. Add lemon juice to the bag and then close it, mixing the marinade and the chicken together. Make sure the chicken is evenly coated. Place the ziplock bag with the chicken in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
And that’s basically it. The hard part is over. When the chicken is properly marinated then you’re just adding it to skewers with your favorite veggies. I prefer peppers, red onion and zucchini for mine.
TIPS FOR GRILLING
My husband really tried to argue that there is no need to oil a grill.
And then all our kebabs got stuck to the grill.
OIL YOUR GRILL.
A little goes a long way so dab a paper towel in some vegetable oil and then rub the paper towel along the grill. Make sure your paper towel is not dripping with oil because if that oil falls on the fire, it will cause a flame to flare up.
Grills are different – they have different settings and some get hotter quicker than others. That’s why there’s no exact timing on grilling the kebabs. Turn them every so often so they don’t get too charred. One way I can tell if the kebabs are done is by pressing on a piece of chicken. If it’s really soft to the touch, it’s still raw. If it’s a little firm and tender it’s done. Careful that they don’t get too firm though, no one likes dry chicken.
Grilled Spicy Chicken Kebabs
For the Marinade
- 3 lbs Chicken Breast
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 2 ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Italian Sweet Pepper
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
For the Kebabs
- 2 Zucchini one yellow, one green
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Yellow or Orange Pepper
For the Marinade
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Clean your chicken, then cut it into 2" pieces and place in a ziplock bag. Refrigerate until time to use.
- In a small dish, mix all your seasonings. Roughly cut your two peppers and yellow onion, tossing them in the olive oil. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the peppers and onion. Place them on a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes.
- After twenty minutes, remove from oven and mix around, tossing in the garlic cloves. Roast for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from oven and let them cool slightly. Add the vegetables to a blender and blend until a paste forms. This shouldn't be too thick or too runny. Add a little more olive oil if needed.
- When marinade has completely cooled, add it to the ziplock bag with the chicken. Add the lemon juice to the bag as well. Mix the chicken and the marinade until evenly coated and place back in fridge for 2-24hrs.
For the Kebabs
- Preheat and oil your grill.
- When the chicken is ready, slice your red onions, zucchini and peppers. Arrange all ingredients on skewers.
- Place skewers on grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning frequently to prevent charring them too much. Serve as is.