We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Candied Yams – a staple dish on my holiday table. Normally, the combination of sweet and salty is not my thing. But candied yams, alongside turkey, dressing and some greens? Perfection.
Candied Yams or Candied Sweet Potatoes?
So there’s this common misconception that yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing – THEY ARE NOT. Yams are a staple food in parts of Africa, so when enslaved Africans were brought to the Americas, sweet potato was the closest crop they could grow that was similar to yams. When I bought sweet potatoes for this recipe, they were actually labeled yams so there is a big mix up that’s rarely corrected. This is a yam. This a sweet potato.
Why Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin pie spice should just be labeled “fall baking spice,” because it’s just that! It has ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger, allspice: it’s just a perfect mix of all the warm and cozy fall flavors so it’s very versatile! I use it in apple pie, sweet potato pie and this candied yams recipe!
What to Serve Yams With?
I always have these “yams” around the holidays, accompanied by savory dishes like turkey, ham, collard greens and dressing. I have eaten them on their own for a sweet treat but generally, they’re served with savory items. Add this dish to your holiday menu to add something sweet to your savory plate!
- 1 Large Sweet Potato about a pound
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp White Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash and peel the sweet potato. Slice the sweet potato into 1" medallions.
- Pour vanilla extract over sweet potatoes, then toss the pumpkin pie spices.
- Cut butter into little cubes. Place sweet potatoes in an aluminum disposable pan or a ceramic pan. Place cubes of butter on top of sweet potatoes and cover pan with aluminum foil. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and refrigerate for up to three days.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?