We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Truly the most wonderful time of the year for these gluten free Brown Butter Sugar Cookies. A must for the holidays! Quick, super simple and a bit nutty. The dough is so easy to work with so grab some holiday cookie cutters and get festive!
These can be made soft and thick or thin and with a little crunch. Roll the dough out to about 1/4 thickness for a softer cookie but just rolling a little thinner can get you a cookie with a crunch.
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
I never cared to brown my butter before but wow I see what the hype is about! It adds a bit of caramelized flavor to the cookies. All you’re doing is placing butter in a pot and letting it cook until it melts and then begins to brown. It’s best to do this on a stovetop that’s low and slow so the butter doesn’t burn!
I have not tried this recipe with alternative flours but honestly, the almond flour combined with coconut flour gives such a subtle warm taste, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Originally, I wanted to make these without refined sugar. I tried making multiple different frostings but they were all flops. I ended up settling on using a $1 can of Betty Crocker Vanilla frosting. Hey, it’s the holidays so I’m not stressed about a little refined sugar. But keep them plain if you want to!
As much as I wanted to make cute little decorative cookies, I hate the taste of royal frosting. I highly recommend buttercream frosting, with no artificial dyes for the best tasting cookie. If you do want cookies with a bit more color, look for frosting dyed with plants, not icky artificial coloring.
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
- ½ Cup Butter, melted on stovetop until browned see above for how to brown the butter
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil, melted
- ½ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 2 ¼ Cup Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Blanched Almond Flour
- ½ Cup Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Fine Sea Salt
- Whisk the browned butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and eggs together.
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour baking soda and sea salt together. Add these dry ingredients to the wet mix and mix with an electric mixer until fully incorporated, about a minute. Using your hands, shape into a ball and then flatten the dough.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25 minutes to 24hrs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add almond flour to clean surface and place dough. Roll the dough one way, then turn the dough. Repeat. Continue this until your dough is ¼ inch thick.
- Take your cookie cutter and cut out cookies. Then place them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15. Allow cookies to fully cool before frosting them and enjoy!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Leave a Reply