We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
These are my moms famous Ricotta and Shrimp Phyllo Cups. Well, actually they’re ricotta-shrimp-cheddar-and-a-dash-of-seasoning-mini-phyllo-cups, but that name is too long.
I vividly remember one New Years Eve where my mom made us a seafood feast and included these as an appetizer. So flaky, crispy and filled with ricotta AND cheddar. They require VERY minimal work and are perfect warm or room temp. I can and have eaten a whole tray of these because they’re that addicting!
If you’re hosting NYE dinner, add these to your menu. It doesn’t get much simpler than these Ricotta & Shrimp Phyllo Cups.
I recommend using frozen shrimp ALWAYS. Raw “fresh” shrimp spoils easily and even if you get it at a fish market, you have no idea if that shrimp was previously frozen and then thawed. Raw shrimp is perishable in your fridge within about two days. Thawing shrimp is super simple: just add the frozen shrimp to a bowl of lukewarm water. They’ll thaw out in 10-15 minutes.
Omit salt completely when cooking the shrimp. Shrimp are naturally a little salty so there’s no need to add more. When mixing the filling, you can taste it and add salt if you’d like.
The Phyllo Dough Cups
This recipe will fill about 48 mini phyllo dough cups (or more – I find it varies each time when making these). I use these cups, but I’m sure you can find a variation of these at your local grocery store. Keep in mind phyllo dough is VERY fragile so be careful when filling the cups because they can easily crack and break. There is no need to thaw these phyllo cups either. Only take them out of the freezer when you’re ready to use them.
Ricotta & Shrimp Phyllo Cups
- 6 Quarts Water
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- 12 Black Peppercorns
- ¼ Cup Salt
- 1 pound Frozen Uncooked Shrimp, thawed, de-veined and tail removed
- 1/2 Cup Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Cup Dried Parsley spinach works also
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Salt, for taste
- Rinse shrimp and make sure they're deveined! Prepare a bowl of ice.
- Bring water to a boil and add butter, lemon, peppercorn and salt. Add your shrimp and boil for a minute or two, until they're bright pink. Remove shrimp and add to an ice bath.
- When shrimp are cooled, roughly chop them and set aside. Add the white cheddar, ricotta, garlic and onion powder, and parsley to the shrimp. Add the pepper and mix well. Taste the mix, add salt if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line the mini phyllo dough cups on a baking sheet.
- Scoop the filling into the cups. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is crispy & flaky. Allow to cool to room temperature and then serve.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?