We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Beets don’t get enough love but this Beet Salad will win anyone over. Beets, fresh orange slices, topped with goat cheese and bacon bits – one of my favorite salads.
It’s simple and the perfect salad as we transition into spring. Eat it alongside pizza, meatloaf or a nice cut of meat!
Beets are incredibly nourishing for you. They can reduce the bad cholesterol that collects in the walls of your blood vessels (yes, there is GOOD cholesterol and BAD cholesterol).
They’re also full of antioxidants that protect your cells against free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules in our bodies. An overabundance of them can lead to chronic inflammation and numerous other health issues. Including this beet salad, or just beets in general, in your weekly meal rotation could be beneficial for your health.
Beets are a great simple carbohydrate too. When balanced on a plate with healthy fats and protein, beets are the perfect addition for a balanced meal.
This recipe is kind of like a two for one. I love to spread goat cheese on sourdough bread and place the beets and bacon atop. The beet, goat cheese, and bacon combo is unmatched.
I used navel oranges in the recipe but you could try other oranges too, like Blood Oranges or Cara Cara. I think using grapefruit would be waaaay too bitter though.
I’m so excited to share this salad, I know it’ll turn some of you into beet lovers!
- Dutch Oven or oven safe pot with a lid
- 6 Beets, small
- 1-2 tbsp Butter softened
- 1 Orange
- 2 Strips Bacon, cooked
- Goat Cheese I LOVE Cyrpress Grove, PsycheDillic
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Wash your beets well and cut the leaves and stems off. Rub the butter onto the beets and place them into your pot. Cover with lid and let the beets cook for 45-1hr. You should be able to pierce them with a fork when they're done. Beets should be soft enough to pierce but firm enough, not mushy.
- Meanwhile, cut your orange into very thin slices. Cut the rind from around the orange slices and set aside.
- Chop up your bacon and set aside.*
- When the beets are done, allow them to cool until you're able to pick them up without getting burned. The outer skin of the beet should peel off easily but if not, use a peeler.
- Slice your beets, add the citrus on top of them, sprinkle your goat cheese over them and sprinkle the bacon on top. Enjoy!
- I do not recommend bacon bits in substitute of bacon. Bacon bits have so many additives and don't taste nearly as good as bacon strips!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?