We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
These Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers are a lifesaver on days when you forgot to marinate the chicken overnight! The marinade takes 5 minutes to make and only needs 30 minutes – 2 hours of marinating time. These turned out SO good, with just the right amount of lemon flavor and kick of pepper in every bite. Enjoyed by me, my husband and our bebe (the true recipe critic around here).
I love these on nights when I don’t want to do dishes. I use disposable skewers, add the chicken and throw them on the grill for 8-12 minutes (depending on how thick you cut the meat cook times vary.) Add some veggies to the grill or have them on top of a salad, and dinner is complete. The lemon juice in the marinade also acts like a tenderizer so you end up with juicy, flavorful chicken.
Is Lemon Pepper Chicken Spicy?
I love spicy food, so maybe I’m biased, but I don’t think this lemon pepper marinade is spicy. You can taste that the pepper is there but it’s not overbearing or unbearable.
How to Marinate Lemon Pepper Chicken
The marinade couldn’t be easier to make. Just grab an old jar, add the ingredients below and shake.
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
What to Eat with Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers?
I like to eat these along with fresh veggies because again, less dishes.
- Raw Veggies like romaine, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and onions with some feta.
- Grilled veggies, like zucchini, peppers, onions and asparagus.
- With rice, veggies and a Greek yogurt dressing (Greek yogurt, water, lemon, herbs and salt)
- Mashed Potatoes
- Turnip Purée
There are so many options to make these skewers into a meal, the possibilities are endless. Let me know in the comments below how you pair your skewers!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers
- 5 Skewers
- Grill Pan
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest* *use the small side of a Grater to zest a lemon, careful not the zest the white part of the lemon.
- 3 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¾ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 ½ lb Chicken Breast
- Add all ingredients to a jar and shake until well mixed. Set aside.
- Clean your chicken. Then cut it into 2" cubes and place in a bowl. Pat your chicken dry. Then pour the marinade over the chicken. Toss the chicken in the marinade. Cover and refridgerate for 30 minutes to maxium of 3hrs. Remember, lemon juice works as a tenderizer, so do not leave the chicken marinating for over 3 hours.
- When the chicken is done marinating, remove from fridge. Turn on your grill and let it get hot. While grill is heating, place chicken onto skewers. Save any remaining marinade to baste the chicken while it grills.
- Add skewers to the grill, turning them at about 4 minutes in. With every turn, make sure you baste the chicken with the leftover marinade. When they have good grill marks and the internal temp of the chicken has reached 165°F, your skewers are done. Enjoy!
- 2-3 small lemons or 1 large lemon should get you 1 tbsp of lemon zest
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?